End of line for net fishing
Net fishing is now prohibited in Port Phillip Bay.
In 2014, the state government announced it would phase out commercial nets in Port Phillip Bay by 2022. The ban came into effect last week.
The Victorian Fisheries Authority website says 35 of the original 43 net fishermen in Port Phillip Bay have left, with eight commercial operators remaining. The remaining people will be asked not to use mosquito nets.
The state government spent $27 million in public funds to convert the commercial fishing industry in Port Phillip Pay to a hook and line snapper fishery. He hopes fishermen will now have access to an additional 600 tonnes of fish per year after the change.
Fisheries and Boating Minister Melissa Horne said ‘the end of commercial nets in Port Phillip was a promise we made when we were elected eight years ago, and it’s a promise we kept, heralding a bright future for fishing in Victoria”.
“We listened to recreational fishers who were seeing fewer fish in Port Phillip Bay due to commercial trawling and we worked to maintain the right balance between what this sector wants, while ensuring a strong alternative supply of seafood. fresh for Victorians,” she said. “We know how important Port Phillip Bay is to recreational anglers, which is why we are also investing in better facilities such as fish cleaning tables, boat launches and parking for trailers.”
The state government said it would work with Jobs Victoria to support workers affected by the change.
First published in the Chelsea Mordialloc Mentone News – April 6, 2022